- Prepare well ahead – Ask candidates to email over their Skype details and add them to your contacts immediately. Don’t just leave it until a few minutes before the interview. What’s more, check your candidate has an account set up, if not, inform them that they will need to download the programme first (yes, really!).
- Ensure everything is plugged in – This includes the microphone! Be sure to give it all a test beforehand. Try calling a colleague to make sure it’s all running smoothly. After all, the last thing you want is a sound issue as the interview is about to start.
- Have a back-up plan – Avoid any major technological slip-ups or WiFi malfunctions with a backup plan; this could be having a phone nearby to call them should you experience any major problems.
- Agree on a time and stick to it – Time keeping is still important in a virtual interview. Both parties need to be on time. Let your candidates know when you will call them so they can be ready.
- Understand the candidate’s needs – Some may need extra provisions putting in place for them to undertake the interview e.g. hearing condition that stops a candidate from completing the online interview. Ensure that this is all taken care of before starting the interview to ensure nothing crops up out of your control.
- Ensure you are in a quiet place – Make sure that you are in a quiet place where there can be no distractions. Desktop / laptop microphones pick up all of the different sounds in a room so ensure that this won’t affect the quality of the sound. Headsets with a microphone work best!
- Utilise technical testing – Try using any online technical assessments as much as possible. You may not be able to introduce certain scenario-based questions in a virtual environment so the use of online assessments is vital to get a full understanding of the technical understanding. 4it have our own technical tests that cover every skill set in IT so please request to use these free of charge.
If you have any questions or would like to see some market information on any Digital, IT or Change skillset, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0113 259 0949